View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
jaykay

Thanks! It was a LOT of time and hassle but I am gaga over the CGT and wanted a bit of it in my car. There are some imperfections that can't be seen in a photo; rest assured it is hand made...I even had do a drawing for it

I had plenty of help. To minimize costs, I started with an aluminum knob and machined it. The inside had to shaped to take a 997 SSK shifter stalk. The knob was EDM machined to remove the top of the sphere.

The removed portion of the sphere served as a template to turn the wood portion. The stratified wood portion is alternating layers of birch and walnut glued together. I think I drove a wood turner mad trying to get this right. Really I should have picked the right wood colour to begin with. As such it had to be stained multiple times to get the colours right. There is difficulty getting a urethane coating to stick. Currently this only quality issue...any help from wood workers out there would be appreciated!

It probably cost close to 300 in materials and some labour alone.
I was considering manufacturing these initially but the amount of work and cost is quite high. I wonder what I will be charged for wire EDM next time??

While this came into being because I couldnt put a CGT knob on my car and I had to come up with a way to do it, searching around the web will show that others have made similar items as well...it can be done!

Last edited by jaykay; 03-11-2013 at 03:27 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote