View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c. View Post
The other thing I'd be interested in is how much cavitation is occurring in the stock pulley driven WP.

Right now, it's known conclusively that a stock 6" pulley can be swapped with a 4" pulley with no negative effect on cooling despite the WP turning a third or so slower. There's a number of variables in the cooling system including (but not limited to) the radiators heat xfer coefficient, the fluid friction through the system and engine coolant channels, the heat xfer of the block, the thermostat, ambient cooling, oil cooling, etc. All together though, the one thing we know for certain is that the WP is currently being turned a lot faster than necessary.
Math and experimentation time then! Let us know what you find.

I grew up around scientists and engineers so I understand your burning curiosity very well. One of my friends used to be a model rocket hobbyist and always wanted to build bigger and better. He was building liquid fueled rockets in his garage until a man with money and vision offered him a partnership. The company is now called Space-X Technologies.