View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
PorscheDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310
Randall,

I don't want any bad blood with anyone, if you say the clutch lasted 250K I'm ok with that. My dad had a car dealership for 40 years, most of what we sold was standard shift. The longest I ever saw anyone get from one clutch of combined highway and city driving was 87,000.

peace,

GR310
Uh, wow is all i can say. I take it every one of his customers brought their cars back to him for new clutches? How about all the cars that didn't come back for clutch jobs? I have put 150k on clutches without any problems. I just replaced my tranny in my truck last year, it had 140k on the clock and original clutch with plenty of life left....but its a while you are in there thing.....

With that being said, clutch life all depends on the driver, not the car. Cars like a 996 and boxster are going to be driven harder ON AVERAGE than your standard VW jetta or 4x4 truck, etc, so you might expect them to have a shorter average life span. We have replaced clutches at 30k miles, and have replaced clutches at 70k miles, and have stock cars with 80-90k miles that still have the original clutch. Just depends on how it is driven. Now you start putting down a lot of horsepower into a car that is driven hard, then the clutches are usually ready for an upgrade around 50k miles without question. We just replaced a 98 996 clutch with 40k miles on it, with a guy that drives the car very very hard. Clutch disc was fine, but he bent the pressure plate, so it was not releasing properly.