View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #13
JackG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310
Randall,

I don't want any bad blood with anyone, if you say the clutch lasted 250K I'm ok with that. My dad had a car dealership for 40 years, most of what we sold was standard shift. The longest I ever saw anyone get from one clutch of combined highway and city driving was 87,000.

peace,

GR310
Back in the day I had a 1971 Mercury Comet GT with a 302 2V and three on the floor. Rebuilt the motor and put a new clutch in it at 90k, then ex-wife totalled it at 190k.

On a warm day you could reach through the window and bump the key to crank it. The clutch was still fine when wrecked, but the tranny had *never* been serviced, and the first gear synchro was about gone.

I drove it like I stole it. Bootleg turns on pavement. Four-wheeling through peach fields. Buried it in water once with the headlights under water, and taillights barely out of water, stayed there for about two hours before the tow, and drove it the next day! Had to replace the starter a week later.

American cars from that era were great in some ways, not so good in others, but many were damn near bulletproof!

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote