View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Smile Leather Door Pocket Covers

Today I decided to do a project I saw online. Cover the platic door pocket covers in leather. I wanted to see if I could do the whole project under $25 bucks.

I figured while my car is still at the paint shop, I would get this done.

1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

I already had the 3M Spray Adhesive and I got the white padding from my wife's stock of material. All I needed was the leather. I made some calls to local fabric stores and had no luck finding any leather sources.

So instead, I went to the local Good-Will and bought a black leather jacket for $25 bucks. There were tons to choose from too.

Here is the Leather Jacket I bought from Good-Will for $25.

I cut off each of the sleeves. Then cut out a piece of leather for the plastic pocket cover. I left a boarder of about 1" extra material.

I did the same thing for the padding material. I think my wife said its called batting.

With the door pockets removed, and the hinges covered with painter's tape. I sprayed the top surface of the pocket and the underside of the batting and let it air dry from about 20 seconds. I then placed the batting onto the top surface of the pocket door and smoothed it over the surface. Once smoothed out, I used scissors to cut away the excess batting material.

Next I applied the 3M Adhesive Spray to the back of the leather and exposed surfase of the batting now stuck on the plastic cover. Again, I let it air dry for 20 seconds and applied the leather to the batting. It's important to apply the leather starting from the center so that you can lay it out smoothly.

I then cut away the excess leather and left a border of about 1/4" to 1/2" to wrap over the edge of the pocket door. Around the sharper corners of the door, you need to cut small slits so the leather will lay flat. Careful not to cut the slits to far or they will show.

Here is the first door complete next to the plastic one yet to be done. Nice improvement over the cheap plastic.

Here is the new leather covered pocket door installed on the door panel. Total job took about 30 mins per door.

Last edited by drbodzin; 03-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote