View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
AKnowles

Headlight Restoration

My litronic headlights that i bought form eBay arrived, but then needed two things:

1) An amberectomy. Completed that with a butane powered soldering iron with a wedge shapped cutter. Pretty easy. Took less than 45 minutes form start to finish.

2) Restoration of the headlights. Some wear and tear due to age, but the rest is somehting else again. It is not pitting, but appears to be an overspray of some type. When I rub my finger over it I can feel it. Here's a picture of the light with a close up of the overspray.

Close up of area with overspray. It's the white curved area. There is also overspray or pitting like this on the bottom and left hand edge too where the blinker is located..

Here's what is looks like aftyer hitting it with a pneumatic orbital sander with 400 grit sandpaper. All wet sanded. FWIW: I tried it with the manual method first. No joy. There was a coating on it in some palces that could not be cut through without a LOT of effort and sanding that was not possible with the sponge sanding block provided.

Close up of overspray area.

Also, for those with an interest, the restoration kit is by mequires. I bought it because I did not want to use electric power tools, but I had no idea this was going to be so difficult to cut through the gunk on it.

Tomorrow I will wet sand it with 600, 1000, then 3000 and start the polishing with the Plastix polishing compound. I'll post pics of the finished results then. As it is taking so long to restore the headlights, I'll probably have to wait until next week to actually install them. Oh well, on the good side I guess that leaves me time to buy some silver turn signal lights and my clear side markers should be in by then too.