View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #69
thomasotten

Coming from a 914 background, I am very familiar with this "stepchild" talk. But it is all garbage, and usually from very uninformed people.

For instance, we 914 owners used to get this "Not a real Porsche" crap from time to time. Justified? The 914 was mid engined, it had an air cooled boxer engine, and was very minimalistic in concept. Just like the early Porsches! It was a back to basics concept. Oh, but it had a VW engine, so the trash talking began.

VW and Porsche were two separate companies that proceded after the second world war to manufacture air cooled cars based on Dr. Porsche's air cooled engine design. Historically, the 914 is all Porsche! :-) So a snobbish comment is also an uninformed comment.

This sort of thing does not really come up anymore with the 914 because, most people don't know too much about them now. Personally, I stoped caring long ago. I think back in the late 70's early 80's a certain snobiness developed against VW by certain people. That doesn't really exist today, because the companies image is much more sporty.

But, having recently purchased this 986, I am surprised to find a this variation on the same theme. There is no VW-Porsche crossover like on some other models. I read somewhere on a forum that some Porsche owners degrade the Boxster. So. the Boxster not a real Porsche? By what measure?
It doesn't make sense. In fact, it never made sense with the 914 and it doesn't make sense with the Boxster. I think it is all based on some snobiness. I have yet to experience this snobiness, because 911 drivers have been waving at me left and right.... but I am sure there is some jackass who thinks only he drives the "remnant" of true Porsche lineage and heritage.
thomasotten is offline   Reply With Quote