Thread: Exhaust help
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Jittsl
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNothing View Post
I drive a 98 boxster 2.5L. I just want a louder, more tuned, better sounding exhaust.
Louder is easy. My Specbox has an open exhaust with no cats or mufflers - makes it much louder. Well It would if I could hear anything anymore.

By more tuned I presume you mean improved performance. Any freer flowing exhaust (which is just about any of them) will probably slightly improve the performance. Don't expect miracles, Porsche ain't stupid. Doing away with the cats may also improve performance but is socially irresponsible an probably illegal.

Better sounding is entirely subjective so can't advise here unless you mean louder.

For $600 you can easily find any number of possibilities that will make the car louder and may slightly improve horsepower and almost certainly will reduce the weight from the all important rear. Although I have had said plenty of rude things about the figment of Topspeed's cat bypass (or test pipes) in the past, my guess is that their mufflers can't go too far wrong as (provided the pipe diameter is correct) the rest of the systems can be adjusted to fit. From what I have read and experienced almost any freer muffler will give issues with a drone. Be prepared.

If performance is not a high priority (and in reality the gains from replacing the muffler alone are going to be minimal) then consider the drilling of 1/2" holes up the tail pipe into the muffler that you'll find discussed in other threads.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote