View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
dghii

Very nice solution for a manual top and I applaud your effort. However...

The power top mechanism on the Box is simple and inexpensive to repair. Your clamshell was overdrive because of a simple failed or misadjusted limit switch on the B pillar of your car. Top transmissions are passive devices that cannot overdrive their position by themselves.

I'm sorry you had such a fight with your power top. I bought a 98 Box last year with an inoperable top...the control relay was missing. While waiting for the relay, I had a cable snap on my other Boxster and drove it for several weeks as a manual top car without any real complaint. Anyway,. Between the two cars, and with the help of many great posts on this and other forums, I learned exactly how this system worked and marveled a it's simplicity.

I could have enjoyed my car with a manual top, no problem, but replacing the cables and adjusting the alignment of the transmissions was not difficult at all.

I'm sure you are happy with your top but if you ever want a power top again (like when selling), investigate your limit switches. They rarely fail and if they do, are inexpensive to replace.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote