Thread: Cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 04:29 AM   #13
PorscheDoc

Ok, i will try and hit them all at once here. We do in house GIAC flash tuning. There are 2 ways to do this, one we have customers send their ECU's in, and we "bench" flash them, or two, the customer brings a car in, and we plug in to the OBDII port and flash it right there. Takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the car and software. There are many GIAC dealers across the US, so if you don't want to pull your ECU, there is probably a dealer close. www.giacusa.com has a dealer list. I can pull up a pricing sheet on what GIAC tunes cost, I usually try and stay out of the pricing thing, and let the other guys handle that end. I have never been much of a salesman, I'm better at just giving the technical side of it

I guess my post was misleading, the exhaust fabspeed sells is the dansk unit, it says dansk right on it. I don't believe fabspeed has come out with an exhaust yet, but i am sure it is in the works and will be good, as that is the other exhaust manufacture we install the most along with B&B.

To install the B&M shifter, you must bust the stock end bushings off the unit to get it out. You can buy them from porsche if you ever want to put it back together....no one will, trust me. If someone doesn't like the B&M shifter, i am guessing because they installed it, and didn't get the cables set correctly, or tightened down the allen screw too much so the shifter was notchy. There is no other way to remove the bushings, they snap through a hole, and you need to bust the tabs off the other side with a chisel to get the bushings back out through the hole. It is one of those jobs that you really don't want to watch someone do, kinda like not wanting to watch a surgeon do brain surgery. You know it is going to end up good, but man, it looks nasty while he is doing it, lol. The schnell is a knock off of B&M and ii have not heard good things about, and at half the cost, there has to be a decrease in quality as well. The B&M is the same unit (SSK) that porsche sells as the upgrade. I have never seen anyone take one of these cars back to stock after doing what small amount of modifcations are available. I haven't installed a single one where the customer wasn't very happy with it.

To remove the airbox without busting the tabs off, you have to remove the entire manifold out of the way. Not impossible by any means, just takes a little longer. I don't go that far, as they are always going in the garbage anyways, so why waste the time. But that is how i have gotten boxes out unbroken in the past.

As far as making the boxster too loud with mods, i don't think that is possible. Even with everything we discussed, they are still a pretty mild sounding car. I suppose running a muffler delete or something like that might get pretty loud

I will see if i can round up a file of JP's dyno, it put down 240RWHP on our mustang, with a nice curve.

I haven't installed any of the 2nd cat bypasses from fabspeed, but if it is like any of their other bypasses, then it will be good stuff. Don't know about the noise increase though, there definetly will be some. I haven't really found a B&B or Fabspeed product that I didnt like though...or didn't perform well.

And i'm spent.....