View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

See any smoke at start-up?

I typically did. Just a bit. When I bought the car, it had a check engine light on and the dealership changed one cat converter, and then the other before the CEL went away. Then I notice a bit of smoke at startup but several sites say to expect this on a Boxster-style engine.

So I had to change my starter, and when I got in there, decided to remove the throttle body completely for easier access to the starter on top of the motor. When I did, I noticed engine oil puddles in my intake manifold. Some quick research told me my air/oil separator had failed and the vacuum was pulling engine oil vapors and particles into the intake manifold and mixing with the intake air. The easy check for this is to look at the vent tube from the separator to the intake manifold. If that tube has oil on it, you are burning oil and need to replace the separator. I found this by chance, and the car passed emissions and runs / sounds great. Since I've never owned a Porsche before, I had nothing to compare this to. I can say without a doubt, the car is smoother than it was before, runs even more silent, has better pick-up (horsepower), and there is zero smoke at startup. This was an excellent fix, $100 for the part.

Every time I think I am amazed at how smooth this car is, I find a small issue and I am amazed all over again how well it performs and how smooth the engine is. Folks, your car should be running flawlessly smooth.

It should be said I had zero records on the car when I bought it, so I swapped everything I could. The plugs looked perfect, but new ones made a huge difference. It is well worth it to make SURE you have new plugs.

As for the starter and battery, between changing to the 80AH battery and installing a new Bosche starter, it starts ten times faster than it ever did and actually sounds like a fine luxury car should. Consider the condition of your starter and battery!

This is an 04 Boxster S, and you can see how the car just fits around the 3.2L engine.

Tim

Last edited by Timco; 02-15-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote