Thread: Cold air intake
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
PorscheDoc

I'm not familiar with what is on your car for mods, so i will give a "in general" response here.

1st modification that should be done to any boxster or 996 in my opinion is a B&M short throw shifter. If you haven't already done so, i truly believe that this will enhance your driving experience more than any intake or exhaust. The stock throw on a boxster and 996 is absolutely horrible. My 4x4 nissan has a shorter throw. Put in the short throw, and it is amazing how much more fun the car is to drive. Once you drive one with a short throw, then go back to stock, it feels ugly. This is definetly a do it yourself mod, first time probably 1.5 hours, once you are familiar with them, its about a 30 minute job.

2nd modification i would do would be the evo highflow intake. 8-10 horses isn't alot (for the boxster, that is a pretty good gain though), but it gives a nice sound to the intake when you are stomping on it. Installing for the 1st time, i would say about 3-4 hours. You have to remove the outer trim for the air duct, and then you reach in and yank the snorkle part out. If you haven't removed that trim piece, it is a little nerve-racking, as you don't want to break it. It is held on by one screw, then just pulls out......with some force. Then out comes the snorkel. It is just held in tight, a good tug and out she comes. Then you have to remove the drivers side of the intake manifold. 6 bolts IIRC on the runners, and loosen the rubber couplers on the intake plenums, and you can move it out of the way enough to remove the stock airbox, which is held on by about 4 small bolts. Of all the boxes i have removed, there have been 2 that i haven't had to partially break to get out (the mounting tabs stick out and hit the edge of the engine panel, so you usually will break them off during removal). No biggie, its goin in the garabage anyways. Then you swap the maf to the new tube and install the Evo box (which slides right into place), and put the intake back on.

3rd modification would be the exhaust. We have installed mostly dansk exhausts (also what fabspeed uses), which is a nice exhaust. I have installed a few oddballs here and there, but the majority is dansk. We use to install GHL exhausts, until we started dynoing them on the 996's and found they lose power. GHL's response was "so what," so we stopped installing their products entirely. I have not installed any B&B stuff on the boxster, so I can't give you any advice there, but we use only B&B on our 930 motor builds. Very good company.

At anytime i would also do a GIAC flash tune, which again is good for 10-15hp IIRC, and the powerband is attractive.

Thats my take on it after having done a ton of the cars, but others may feel differently. It should give you an idea of where to start though.