View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
MNBoxster

Hi,

Lately we've seen a lot of queries about adding this Go-Fast Part or Lightening this Part or adding different Springs, Shocks, Intakes, Air Filters and the like.

But, remember, your Car was Designed to work as it is, as an integrated unit. Porsche spent a lot of Time and Expense refining the Car to it's current Stock condition.

So, when altering your Car, take an overall approach. Change one thing (even something as innocuous as a lighter Battery), and it's effect on the Car overall could be detrimental. This is especially true if you simply tack on this piece or that and fail to appreciate it's contribution in concert with other Mods you may have made or expect to make. Too much power, too little weight, and you may upset the Balance Porsche has built into the Car.

Putting the Car on a Diet may adversely effect the Handling using the Stock Springs, Shocks and Bushings, even the alignment settings. Adding too much Power can negatively effect the Handling, over-power the Brakes, or Transmission and Clutch, even Safety.

I personally think Performance Modding a 2.5L Boxster to be pretty much a waste of time and money. There are few, if any, positive, objective, reports that any real gains are actually achieved. I don't consider the Butt Dyno or the anecdotal impressions of a person driving a Performance Car for the first time to be sufficient to justify spending my Time and Money to Mod MY Car.

I've been Owning and Driving Race Cars and Performance Sports Cars for over 30 years and I have seen all manner of Gizmos and Doodads in that time. Many were simply Marketing Gimmicks designed primarily to make more room in your Wallet - remember when STP® was all the Rage? Turned out to be nothing more than 90W Gear Oil and was actually bad for the Car.

Also, I consider the 2.5Ls to be the '64 Mustangs of their Breed - the future Classics. How many people will wish in the future that the car had remained in stock form? (especially for the minimal gains the Mods yielded?).

Of course, it's your Car and your Money, so you may do as you wish. But, if you are intent on Modding your Car, at least take a wholistic approach. One that phases in a complete, pre-planned Modding and looks beyond the current Mod that is burning a hole in your pocket or one which is merely the Flavor of the Month. You'll be happier with the Car and probably avoid spending money on unnecesary and ineffective changes.

As always, just my Humble $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-21-2005 at 07:07 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote