View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Perfectlap

The 981 is the right move for a 986 owner, being that the conventional wisdom is to upgrade every other series. But electronic steering seems to cater towards the casual driver. That might be the deal breaker for me to stick with Porsche, well at least new ones. They're getting rid of manual transmissions in the 991 GT3 as well with an eventual move for PDK in all Caymans, Boxsters and Carreras. All steps in the wrong direction if you like doing all the driving, well by today's standards.

Personally I think the Boxster Spyder (with the steering we like) and a manual transmission may go down as the last great roadster. It's already rumored that the new 981 Cayman is lapping slower than that "old" Boxster Spyder. The TC Klein Boxster with no engine mods went quicker around Laguna Seca than modified 997 GT3's. Just imagine it with a 997 S motor.

p.s.
I've read folks claiming that the leather in the 981 is closer to the 986 full leather grain, an improvement over the 987 leather in their opinion.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote