View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
KevinH1990

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried re-seating the connections and that didn't help. I also hooked up my Durametric. I used the test functions for the gauge cluster in hopes that a little exercise would get it started, but no luck.

Here's what I know:

1. The voltmeter works fine when it is hooked up to the Carrera circuit board that came with it. This means that:

A. The Carrera gauge itself is not broken
B. The car is sending the correct signal to the Carrera circuit board.
C. The connectors from the car to the Carrera circuit board are OK.
D. The connectors between the Carrera circuit board and the Carrera gauges are OK.

2. All the gauges and lights work correctly using the Boxster circuit board and the Carrera gauges with the exception of the voltmeter. This means that:

A. The voltage signal is not being transmitted from the Boxster circuit board to the voltmeter; or
B. The Boxster circuit board is not processing the signal from the car correctly; or
C. The pin for the Carrera circuit board to receive the signal is different than one on the Boxster circuit board
D. The signal from the car is not passing to the Boxster circuit board.

I'm continuing to try to figure this out. There is a shop in California (Palo Alto Speedometer) that specializes in this kind of thing. They couldn't fix the burned out lcd on the cluster I bought because they can't obtain the parts, but they may be able to fix this. Someone on Pelican suggested a speedometer shop in my area that works on VDO gauges. I will definitely give them a call. I'm also going to check with Hollywood Speedometer.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote