View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Skrapmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster View Post
Try Premier Upholstery in Santa Clara. I had the top replaced there a long time ago on a previous Boxster when the GAHH glass replacement tops were just coming to market. They do good work. They won't be the cheapest price you'll find but they'll be a good starting point. $1600 sounds like it's a little high at this point but that's just a gut feel. It's been a long time since I did this.
Those guys are great, they did some awesome rear seat repair for my 911 when I lived in Palo Alto. I emailed them a few months ago as they were my first choice, and they wanted $1600 for the glass top replacement, which seems to be the standard in this area (800 bucks labor plus whatever cost for the top?). Since they didn't appear any more competitive in price I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to drive an 1 1/2 hours one way for a new top.
I guess I could save $150-200 on an eBay top, but that seems a little risky? Plus, I doubt there would be much warranty on such a top.
Last cheapo top I purchased for my wife's Miata fell short of expectations. I've located a 2003 top but the going price for those for sale within driving distance appear to be north of $2500.
I'm also starting to get worried about engine access with a glass window now, as the local roof shop guys are telling me that I need to bring it back for them to undue the top a bit to allow access for major engine services at $200 a pop.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote