View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrytrip1 View Post
May be a subjective question, but how good should the 02 986 base A/C be?

I have had mine recharged twice in last 10 moths and its getting bad again. I do see all the bits of foam coming from the vents. What does this foam do? I have read that once this is ruined that there is nothing to separate the cool and hot air mix - could somebody explain that plse.

The last refill my tech used dye, so I will take it back in for him to look at - fearing the worst that it may be the evaporator (Meir's post is excellent, but too much for me and my limited tool set - all my tools are in storage in UK....). I was out for an hour or so today and thought to look underneath - no condensate dripping or pools under the car.

Sorry for the rambling - just really looking for thoughts what to do next. It will get hot here in next 2mth so want to be ready. Back to the first question - is the 02 base a/c good if operating correctly?

Thanks

Simon
I am impressed with my 2000 Box A/C. It has never been serviced in it's 102K miles but works great. I rarely use it & even unbolted the compressor & stored it in the drivers area for 6 months while I rebuilt the engine without disconnecting the hoses. Remember it's called air conditioning because it takes in air & cools it, so the hotter the air is coming in the less cool it is coming out. In Dubai summer time it won't be ice cold.
You should install a 160 degree thermostat in the engine, replace the waterpump with a OEM pump & remove your front bumper cover to clean your radiators & A/C condensers. Make sure all a/c vent pipes are in place & consider replacing the foam insulation to maximize air flow.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote