View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
mjw930

Be carefull and consider want out of the tires. Everyone wants to jump on the PS2 bandwagon but for many, me included, they are not the proper tire for the Boxster if you want to maintain or enhance the balance of the car, especially at the limit.

The PS2 is part of a new breed of tire that attempts to increase the comfort level while still maintaining reasonable directional stability and precision. This results in a tire with a hybrid sidewall construction that can work very well in some applications and horribly wrong in others. I have found that the Boxster is very sensitive to sidewall construction and doesn't really like the PS2's in the 18" configuration (you didn't mention the sizes you are shopping). Although the highway ride was very nice and the absolute grip these tires produce is excellent the loss of precision upon initial turn in and when they are subjected to varying side loads within a turn makes the driving experience less enjoyable for me. I switched back to the PS Rib (Pilot Sport N1) and although the ride is harsher the handling and feel of the car is much more to my liking. The overall grip is still very high and I find that I don't lose anything on the track or at the autoX.

You might want to consider the tried and true Bridgestone SO3's. They have been the standard bearer for many P-Car owners who track their cars regularly for the last few years.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote