View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well Porsche got 30 more hp out of the 987 3.2 with intake and exahust upgrades but I believe they also did some presumably very costly upgrades to the engine internals.
Perfectlap, you are correct in your statement above! Porsche did much more to the 987 to get the HP gains.

Here is what I have read on the PCA site:

"There have actually been many changes made from 2002-2005 and in fact to many to list. All of these have only gained 21kw of power. Now the changes were not to the compression or to the displacement but to its efficiency. The camshafts and their operation were drastically changed in 2003. Their were other changes for a total increase then of 6kw. The other 15kw evolved in the 987 from the Motronic 7.8 with faster processor speeds up to 40Mhz and memory of 1Mb. This translates into faster corrections and mapping of the engine management. The fuel injectors were also upgraded along with the intake system and exhaust. When you put all of this together you get this increase in KW (KiloWatts) .

In general there is not much you can do to gain more power with your engine. The bolt on after-market air intakes,exhausts and chip upgrades do little and often lower your power. Should any of this been that easy then Porsche wouldnt have to spend millions for product research and development. These products that show power gains by Dyno testing are all in the area of error. I could change spark plugs in an engine and Dyno it 3 different times and most likely show a gain of 3-6kw on one of them. I could now use this to sell my product and say that you can gain this amount in power by using these spark plugs. I only used spark plugs as an example. An air-freshener inline with the intake stream would have worked also. Perhaps pine scented?

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 12/4/2005"