Thread: Aasco and what?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
grubinski

Garage
I have used several LWFW in various cars of mine over the past 25 years. Never an issue.

I don't believe the argument that the FW is used to balance the engine ... a flat six like this has perfect primary and secondary balance, that's why they're so smooth. The cars I used LWFW on were inline 4's, and there were no balance or engine longevity issues.

As far as the "no power gain" argument, the car will rev faster IN GEAR in the lower gears, markedly so. I did some calculations before fitting one to my previous car, a Supercharged MR2, and in second gear (think autocross) the lighter flywheel I installed was good for a 6 HP gain. First gear would have been more than that, because the car revs faster in first gear. This was borne out after install by the noticeably improved performance of the car.

Additionally, the car just feels more responsive when the engine responds more eagerly, in gear or out.

All that said, I will not be installing one in my Boxster. I have no plans to autox this car. With the stock flywheel, this is a very easy car to drive, and I have hopes of teaching my wife to (finally) drive a stick shift. The LWFW would make that a pain, they *do* take a little getting used to.

Last edited by grubinski; 01-06-2013 at 06:14 AM.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote