View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
srad34

Garage
Another failed AOS!

Hi All,
I replaced my AOS a few months back after the white smoke on start up issue. It was all sorted with a genuine part from the Porsche Shop - 1hr total - Tidy.

However, last week after a 'spirited' run, overtaking an SUV, 3rd gear 4-5k, the old girl left a huge trail of blue smoke behind like a James Bond smokescreen!
This leads me to believe that this is caused by vacuum of oil created under load, being dumped into the intake.
After a quick check under the lid, no obvious oil leaks and no level drop, but there is oil in the intake so it appears to be getting through the AOS membrane.
I have two theories for the premature failure and any help with this would be appreciated:-

Firstly, when I replaced the aos in July, the aos>intake tube (5 on image) was cracked, I replaced with flexi hosing (automotive water type) - non porous but can flex under throttle load, could this be a factor in stressing the aos membrane (uneven vacuum)?

Secondly, the PCV - this is the main feed from the crankcase>aos and it does appear to commonly block up. If this is blocked when I find its location, could it cause uneven vacuum in the aos membrane also?

Stuff to do so far....

I am picking up a new AOS and CPV from Porsche Sheffield in the morning,
Remove and clean the throttle body/intake of any oil residue
Change the plugs as the old ones are all now evenly contaminated.
Replace the aos>intake hose with genuine 'hard' tube.
Clean MAF as it could have oily residue on it also

The PC valve (number 6):

Is there anything you guys recommend checking while I am in there?

Last edited by srad34; 01-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
srad34 is offline   Reply With Quote