View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Bala

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv View Post
Bala,

You're almost there. It is imperative that both valves in the cylinder under test are closed -- so TDC or BDC. It is better to test with TDC but some people have safety concerns and use BDC. I always go with TDC and leave the car out of gear (or in park). haven't had the need to do this with my Box, but helped out a couple of friends with their junk cars.

Here are the items required for your testing:

Throttle body open -- allows for hearing leaks from a bad intake valve(s).
Exhaust system (obviously open) -- allows for hearing leaks from a bad exhaust valve(s).
Remove oil dipstick -- allows for hearing leaks into the crankcase from blowby caused by bad rings.
Coolant fill cap -- allows for seeing bubbles in the coolant caused from cracked head/headgasket/etc.

Regards,
paul...
Have to do this again.

Did not leave the throttle body open for the hot test. But, for the cold test I could not hear anything from the throttle body.
Did hear air hissing out of Oil dipstick but manual says some leakage is expected.
No leak what so ever from coolant - good new I guess.
Nothing of significance from exhaust. Could hear a very faint echo like air noise.

Let's see how this goes again. Maybe I'll write up a DIY article on this while I'm at it.

Thanks Paul et all.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote