View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Pothole.....
Why don't you just buy the LN bearing in the US and have it sent to the UK via Fedex or whomever. That way you won't have to buy @ the inflated British cost - unless of course UK Customs slap on the VAT on entry.
Here in Australia, parts less than $1000 (650 pounds) don't attract GST - that's why I buy all my parts from the US or UK.
There's a company in the UK that sells the kit for £595 + VAT, so parts pricing isn't really any worse here. Nor, as I said above, is the overall job, which can be done for £1,000 + VAT.

It's the basic kit price of the LN stuff that is the problem. In my view, it's too much money in the context of an older Boxster with a very low market value. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

I'd be happy to pay the extra to have the Pelican kit fitted when I do the clutch if I was more confident it would last. Frankly, I'm not terribly convinced there's much reason to think the Pelican bearing will last any longer than the one that's survived the last 112k miles.

Like I said, I'd pay an extra £500 on top of the clutch. but £1,000+ is too rich. I can't really afford it.