View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
but id rather not buy one because of the totally over inflated price based on nothing but fear and possibility
Since I joined this forum back in 2005 two regular posters to this forum ended up with a blown engine via failed IMSB. And one had more than one IMS failure to boot. Point is these weren't people who joined because their IMS grenaded the engine and came to 986forum.com to rant. They were already here... and there really arent' THAT many regular posters even though there are a ton of registered users.

As for the price, the labor is a wash because you're doing the clutch, which has real utility and at 70k+ miles my clutch was on its final stretch. The job isn't like a premptory engine rebuild that serves no other purpose. As for the parts, I can't really think of another time where the aftermarket stepped in, engineered a product to address a significant design flawe to a vitally important component, which the manufacturer had no interest in putting in the time and effort, at less than $1000.

Say you spent $15K for what was once a $50K car. Usually with high end cars, repair costs do NOT scale down with age. Talk to a Merc owner. The cost of LN IMSB is peanuts given the function it plays. Put it this way, some m96 Porsche engines require an entire engine rebuild to address the IMS issue. $$$$$. We're getting off easy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-19-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote