View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
mjw930

As promised here's my review of the EVO Swift Shift kit:

The installation of the EVO kit is a breeze. The aluminum / roller bearing bushings fit perfectly and hold the stock shifter in place with authority without adding any additional stiffness.

There are 2 issues with the kit but they are extremely minor:

1. The lower connector, the part that goes from the bottom of the shifter and connects to the shift cable can hit the shifter housing if care is not taken with the installation. It has 3 recessed allen screws and if you orient them wrong and have any one of them pointed down it will rub on the bottom plastic part of the shifter frame.

2. When shifting into reverse the right edge of the heim joint will make contact with the side of the shifter housing. It doesn't impede the shifter action but you can feel it. I tried to adjust the gate cable to prevent this but that places the shifter too far to the right and makes the 5/6 gate a reach.

My overall impressions of the kit are very good. The shift throws are reduced about 20% and they are much more positive than the stock system. It's very easy to find the proper gate and the effort required to engage a gear is harldy more than with the stock unit. In all it's exactly what I was looking for. I can highly recomment this kit for anyone who wants to add a little more precision to the 986/996 shifter.

BTW, Schnell (via EagleDay where I purchased the kit) are taking the Schnell unit back, no questions asked.

Last edited by mjw930; 12-10-2005 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Grammer and Spelling
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote