View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I've driven the 987S and my 986S (fabspeed headers and exhaust) back to back. I don't think the power difference is enough to justify the jump on the basis of power.
986 to the Boxster Spyder or 981S totally different but so is the new monthly check I'd have to be writing. LOL.

Personally I'm not crazy about the 987 styling up front. I like the rear styling of the 987 over the 986. The strangely shaped 987 side intakes never grew on me. The new 981 front end is proabably the nicest of any Porsche sold today imo. Very reminiscent of the Ferrari Cali.
So on styling I would not make the jump either. Also, the 987s are going to be much cheaper by this time next year because of the 981. With the 991 pricing in the nosebleeds the Boxster pool of Porsche buyers is going to get bigger. On the time sheets, there's not much difference between the new Boxster S and a standard Carrera.

I guess its like the old saying upgrade your Porsche every other series. And not having a monthly payment is probably the best Porsche experience short of shooting through the foxhole at N-ring.
And this is my point...The differences between the 2 cars being compared which again is the 02S vs. 07S is not a huge step. Same platform with some go faster bits here and there and a more refined interior. If it were me, I'd keep the 02 S (I already have one which is paid for), keep the five grand and continue to save for a 981 for the next 2 years, by then the savings account should be more substantial, the 02 S should still be worth at least ~12K and a used 981 should be more reasonable price wise. value to performance wise, it is hard to make a case for taking on a car payment or any additional outlay for 45 hp and a half a second to sixty, you're still in the same basic car and it's still many years from new. Every other series indeed is the way to go!

R
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote