View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #41
Eric523
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Eric,

Way to kick some cup car butt! Fantastic! Getting past/along side on corner exits....the corkscrew is just incredible!

Did I see some left foot braking in there? For corner balance just before and after the power comes on in certain corners? Does it help you get some more oversteer?

Will "they" let you vent the rear window?
Thanks! I'm sure they don't enjoy getting passed by a hairdressers car with a street M96 motor in it

Yes, I left foot brake every corner that I don't downshift. Actually, even on downshifting corners, I will move my left foot over to the brake pedal to take over braking after downshifting is done. It took me about a year of street driving and practice to really get the feel and coordination down to get it right, but it was well worth it. Now I can modulate equal or better to with my left foot over my right foot.

I do use a left foot tap to get the car to oversteer and control balance as well. If the car is pushing in a corner sometimes a lift off the gas will do it, but a tap of the brake that coincidences with this lift gives an even greater effect. Getting weight transfer off of the rear tires and on to the front can get some more grip up front and allow for a little slide in the rear.

Also, towards the middle of my in car camera at Laguna Seca I was having to pump the brakes with my left foot before entering each braking zone. I was suffering from brake pad "knock-back" with the high G corners and corkscrew. The flex in the caliper and rotor would knock the pads back away from the rotor so the first application of brake would be soft as they returned to the mating surface. Similar to the feel of overheating fluid but a different mechanical issue.

The hard top and rear window were originally built for my Boxster Spec car. At the time, we were not allowed to "vent" the rear window at all. I was also not doing 160+mph anywhere. So that was a big concern after watching the rear view camera at AAA Speedway for the first time. I will have a new roof and window set-up for next year for certain. The wing will also be reinforced.
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote