View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
D.L.

I'm surprised. To start, I own a 98 box. I installed the Vertex short shift kit about 4 months ago and it about 2 hours (and took my sweet ass time reading the directions a couple times before diving in!). I called Vertex in the middle of my installation to make sure I was doing it correctly when removing the cables and making sure to mark the location of the threads. They were VERY helpful and from talking to the guy on the phone, it sounded like he had done the install a thousand times and he walked me through it like he was standing next to me!

Anyways, if you understand basic physics and the concept of leverage, you can expect the shift effort to increase. That shouldn't be a surprise. I noticed on my kit that there was added shift effort, but nothing to be concerned about or worth complaining about. It was still very smooth also. Not as smooth as stock, but still a very smooth shift overall. The difference in shift distance was well worth it. It just about cut the shift distance in half! I like that the shift is firm and positive. I don't feel that it is hard or rough at all.

I really like my kit, and I feel that this mod is the best bang for your buck. I compared it to the Porsche OEM kit that was installed on a demo car at my local Porsche dealer. They felt identical. If you search Vertex and B&M and look closely at both products, you will also noticed that they are almost identical also. The Vertex Kit is much cheaper however. It's unfortunate you had a bad experience with your Vertex kit. I really like mine though, and if you do a search on this site, you will find that most people love their short shift kits! Good luck to all!
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote