View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
SD987

"Try it for awhile and you'll notice how much smoother it drives and it will stop making all of those annoying clicking and sticky valve noises at idle. "
- deliriousga

I've noticed that too. Interestingly, I've also found that driving more spiritedly in the Box improves the fuel economy versus driving like an old lady.

"If clutches, tires, brake pads, ect are a major concern maybe an alternative automobile choice is in order"
-ssinkule

"by the way explain to him that Porsche are made in such small numbers compared to BMW that BMW is more like GM in the status symbol world."
-perfectlap

I couldn't agree with you two more. I think that when younger folks make the move into a "status" car, the BMW is the most popular and viable option. BMW has done a great job of attracting the "status" buyer by marketing: "the ultimate tanning machine" e30 convertible was the first upscale german convertible to be priced to this market...but just as big a ploy has been the 4yr/50K free-scheduled maintenance. If you've had to pay for an Inspection II you know that it's inline with scheduled maintenance on other pricey imports and by making it free for a time they've eliminated a huge concern of alot of young status buyers (can I afford to maintain this imported moneypit).

While of course I'd love to see Porsche and Mercedes have free scheduled maintenance, I personally perceive the drivers of a new model to have more "status" than a BMW owner because not only can they can afford the car but they aren't overly concerned with what it costs to keep it running.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote