View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Mmmm....this story sounds famililar...Very disappointed in my B&M SSK

MJW930, just a heads up about the bushings. I had the same experience with the B&M and when I called a Porsche dealer requesting to buy some bushings they said I had to buy the the whole assembly that the OEM shifter sits in for around 200 bucks I believe. I just ended up using the aluminum B&M bushings with my OEM shifter and all is fine now except I can't return the B&M. Anyway you look at it, this whole short shift deal is going to end up costing you money just to get back to the stock feel which is quite sad. I hope the EVO deal works out better but I wouldn't be suprised if you feel the same way about that as well. Why throw good money after bad?
I read that story before I purchased the kit so I knew what I was getting into. As for throwing good money after bad I guess that's all in how you look at it. Even if I can't return the Schnell shifter I'm only out the $158 it cost me. One thing i learned a long time ago is that a few hundred $$$ here and there is meaningless when you are talking about modifying something. I wanted to try the short shifters and knew going in that if I didn't like it I was out the money. Is short, the $$$ is chump change relative to the value of the car and the enjoyment I get from it.

In trying out the EVO parts I achieve 2 things:

1. I can see if a modest 20% change is more to my liking
2. I can remove the Schnell bushings and return the part (or sell it so someone who might like it)

The worst thing is I get the nice roller bearing bushings and retain the stock cable connection. The shifter will be slightly more precise and I always have the option of installing the lower unit if I decide to.

I also want to mention that I don't think the Schnell shifter is defective or a bad product, it's just not what I wanted. As feedback to Vertex I suggest you investigate an adjustmet mechanism to the bushings and modify the side link to accomodate the factory plastic fitting (make the ball diameter the same as the stock unit). The adjustment mechanism can be as simple as varous thickness washers that you pop into the bushing to get the proper tension.

Last edited by mjw930; 12-08-2005 at 08:37 AM.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote