View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #66
Flavor 987S

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I've been wanting to chime in for a while but haven't for fear of bad kwan, but here goes...

First, we're 3 pages deep into this thread and we haven't heard back from the OP. Maybe he's busy planning his course of action and doesn't have time to give us an update but it's interesting to me. Based on his description (multiple P-Car owner) and his # of posts, he doesn't appear to be someone who came in with an incendiary bomb and sits back and watches the fun. Would be interesting to get an update on what direction he's going.

Second, with all the info available on IMS failures there shouldn't be a Boxster or 911 owner on this planet who isn't aware of it. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you but you can't deny any knowledge of it. And now with preventative measures available, how can you blame Porsche if you ignore it and then it happens to you? We can debate whether Porsche should build a bullet proof car capable of 250K mi of trouble free driving and we can debate the number of IMS failures vs the total number of cars produced. That's not my point. We know there is an issue and we have options. If we choose to ignore those options, aren't we cuplable? When someone pens a thread about their IMS shooting craps and Porsche should be held accountable, I'd like to know why they chose to not do anything prior to the occurrence.

Having said all that, I'm probably going to be hit hard by the IMS Gods. That wouldn't be good with my stable about to expand to 3 for a period of time. However, I've evaluated my situation. My cars have M97 engines with the improved IMSB. In a previous IMS thread, I asked Jake what the approx cost is to change out the IMSB in an M97. He said $4200 IIRC. So I can spend $4200 or $10000 if my improved version doesn't live. I've been watching threads carefully (esp on Planet-9 since that's more 987 centric) and there are very few M97 failures. Not zero, but few. The M96 is much more prone. So I'm going to roll the dice. If mine fail, I don't want any sympathy because I've chosen to go this route and I won't want to start a class action suit against Porsche. I've chosen a path and I'll live with my decision. Two of my three cars currently have CPO into next yr, so my decision might be different next yr.
Good post. Well stated, Husker.

What the hell happened to the Corn Huskers last night? Talk about a "can of whoop ass".

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 12-02-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote