View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
b-raddetail

2003 Boxster Engine failure at 36k miles

I was at a track day at the Ridge Motorsports Park in and going around a corner when the car stuttered and made a giant puff of smoke then lost almost all power. I limped it back into the pits. Thankfully a Bullet Racing, a Grand-Am race team was there. He put it on the computer and said things were not looking good. Can sensor failures and a couple other things I do not recall.

Thankfully they had an extra spot left on their rig and towed it back across the border to their shop in Vancouver BC (I'm from Kelowna BC). Once he removed the engine and tore it down, there was lots of shrapnel in the cylinder heads. The only thing he could target was one of the lifters was worn through and may have sent some metal through the heads taking out the oil pump, a cam, the lifter holder. The biggest mystery is how the debris made it from one head to the other taking out that oil pump and doing a bunch more damage. Nothing ever made it into the cylinders and was contained only in the heads.

The repair was so expensive I contemplated just cutting my losses and selling the car for scrap or parts. Things are tight being a full time university student. The car is gorgeous and in amazing shape with low miles and I could not see it go to waste. I ended up getting the car repaired. They replaced and upgraded the IMS bearing, did the rear main seal and a couple of know issues while the car was appart.

I love the car and am happy I fixed it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experience or have heard of similar top end failures?

This is my first post, I hope I have included enough info about the breakdown.

Here is the picture of my car now named the Brokster as its taking all my money.
b-raddetail is offline   Reply With Quote