View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Steve Tinker

New(ish) coolant pump leak....

Less than 2 years and 10,000 km (6,000 miles) ago, I replaced my coolant pump with a genuine Porsche unit I bought in the US from Flat6 (Jake Raby's outfit).
I know Jake only uses genuine pumps & so it has the plastic impellers and the correct ID numbers matching my original pump, so I know its the correct one.

Over the last couple of months I have been losing fluid at the rate of half a cupful (approx 100ml) every 500 miles or so - not a lot but even so, I don't like leaks in cooling systems.
I've tracked down the leak to the water pump - there is calcification just below the pump - so I pulled the belt, checked the pump for smoothness, end play (non) and re-torqued the retaining bolts. After a few hundred miles, the leak is still evident and looks like it could be coming from the bleed hole behind the pulley.
I've always had the impression that once fluid starts to leak from the bleed, its only a matter of time before the pump fails, ie it's an early warning device.
Can anyone clarify this. Am I on borrowed time ?
I would have thought that a genuine Porsche pump would last longer than 6,000 miles - the original one lasted 50,000 miles and looked perfect when I removed it.
Any helpful advice appreciated.