Thread: Still good?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #15
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasCar
So I took a look at smaller models (and more affordable ones) like the 944 and 928 (even the 912)
Hey now, what's up with the "smaller" models. I resemble that comment. The 928 was the most expensive Porsche of its' time (eq to about $120K in today's dollars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasCar
What do you think? Is it a money pit to go for 944's, 928's, 964's, etc.??
Here's my 2 cents on the older models. The 944 was the least expensive model available when they were new, so a lot of people who could just afford to "own a Porsche" could not afford to maintain it properly. The 928 has, on average, been maintained better because it was very expensive to start with, but they were usually neglected by their 3rd anad 4th owners since they didn't pay the new price for them. The 964 was between them sales price wise, but more rare so you have to take that into account when thinking about parts availability.

As a rule of thumb on the 928 forum, they recommend anybody looking at them to expect to pay about $5K (if you can DIY it) in addition to the purchase price to get them back into good condition. I'm sure it would be the same for the 944 or 964. The things that usually have to be done with an older model are timing belt, fuel lines, gaskets and basically everything rubber since it's over 10 years old.

If you can do a good bit of maintenance yourself, find a good model with records showing the maintenance was kept up and get a good PPI done it can be great. My neighbor recently bought a '84 928 for $3K and drove it home from New Jersey loving every minute of it. Mine was in great shape when I got it a year ago and has cost me a total of $14K after replacing the clutch, timing belt, fuel lines, leather re-dye and giving it a complete tune-up. Not bad for the only V8 Porsche (car) out there.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote