View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
threpwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE
$7,000 for you car stereo upgrade and you don't get a new head unit or speakers?

I for one just upgraded my head unit and speakers (Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889, iPod interface, and MB Quart speakers for the dash and doors) for under a $1,000 installed and love the improvement. Next I plan to add an amp and perhaps a subwoofer for some additional base, but I won't be looking at $3,000 amps.... that's a bit out of my league.

I am still trying to fine tune the set up and finding it a bit hard to dial in. Some songs sound under-bassed and others distort. Sort of frustrating.

Your set up must sound amazing...keep us posted.

RIDE
That is a very nice setup under $1000.

The only reason that I keep the stock head unit because I want to preserve the porsche look. All I wanted is to run everything from my Ipod

I am planning to replace the stock speakers myself to cut some labour cost, but if the stock ones can sound incredibly good with the expensive amps, I will just stay with it...

The room in boxster is already small and I don't know if this set up is really necessary (1 amp per channel). I am also having distortion problem with my current set up and I just couldn't take it anymore. It's even more noticeable after I put in the rear units.