View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
cyclocross

how reliable...

Well, I'll add my 2-cents worth. I purchased my 2001 2.7/Tip almost 2 years ago, certified, from Porsche of Oakland. It had 42,000 miles on it. I was able to obtain copies of all of the service orders on it. The biggest item was replacement of one of the drive cables for the top. It now has 55,000 miles. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is replacement of one O2 sensor under warranty. The first owner used 15W-50 Syntec. I am using 0w-40 Mobil 1. The engine has the very minor weeps (sweating?), but no drips, that one would expect from any engine. In fact, the exterior of the engine can be considered to be dry. The steering and handling are just amazing, almost telepathic. The brake pedal has minimal play or "sponginess", the best of any car I've owned. Freeway mileage at 75-80 is in the high 20s. I'm considering moving up to a Carrera but the Boxster is so damn good, tough decision.

FWIW, I can get a 2004 CPO M3 for the same cost as a 2002 non-CPO Carrera. Another tough decision.