View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
bigwatts

Top Question/Problem?

Can anyone help me with a top problem?

Today I went to lower my top on my 1997 boxster. (it was a beautiful 68 degrees in north carolina today). All went well and I had a nice drive. When I went to raise the top I noticed that the leading edge of the roof - The part that meets the top of the wind screen - was not coming forward evenly. The drivers side was coming up slower than the passenger side. The drivesr side eventually catches up and the roof seems to close fine. The uneven section is right when the top is trying to clear the windscreen and rollhoopes. I tried repeating the process and the top goes down fine at the same speed on each side. I preformed this twice. Both times the top did not come up evenly. Is this a common problem? It did not do this previous to today. The top makes no weird noises during the process. I dont hear any grinding or popping noises. Is this a simple alignment issue. If it is, what would cause the top to come out of allignment.

I have done some searching here and on rennlist without much luck in reguards to this particular problem. (although there are a lot of top problems -which is scarry)

Also. I had the rear window replaced within in the past 10 days. However, I checked the top about 3-4 times since the window was replaced and it seemed to work fine. I just wanted to include this variable.

Is the roof safe to use like this? When it meets the top of the windshield it seems aligned and the roof latches without any problem. If it helps I can probablt get some pictures. I have never worked on a convertible top but I am fairly mechanically inclined......

Hopefully some of you very knowledgable people can shed some light on this.
bigwatts is offline   Reply With Quote