View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
thom4782

Litronic Leveling Question

After dealing with lots of problems over the past year, I finally broke down and bought a Durametric cable. I tried it out for the first time today. The good news is that almost all the systems were clear of codes. The bad news is one system showed some codes which I didn't expect.

The one exception was the headlight system. I have Litronics which are self leveling. Stupidly, I forgot to write down the stored codes before I tried erasing all of them. Two remained after the erase job. They were Fault 1 and Fault 2. The Porsche diagnostic manual says these are left and right motor circuit faults. It could be an open circuit, a short circuit, a bad motor or a bad control unit. Or it could be any of the senors that tell the lights to go up or down. Who knows.

Using the Durametric, I tried to activate the lamps into the low, middle and high positions. The driver side light moved up and down, but the passenger side light didn't move at all. I assume this is a real problem and not just the way the Durametric activates the headlights.

So I'm looking for some advice as to what to do next. These headlight system parts are really expensive and I'd like to avoid the plug and hope the problem fixes itself approach.

Does anybody have any suggestions for next steps. For example, does a particular fuse or relay control the leveling system? If so, I can't identify it. Fuses and relays would be really easy to check. If not or if they are OK, what would you suggest I try next. Could it be something as simple as re-seating the headlight units.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote