View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
stateofidleness

Another "chirp" thread - rough idle to boot

Gents,
I've had my CEL on for a while now as I literally just got it back after 7 months of being in the shop for transmission issues... lonnnnnng story.

Anyways, the codes are 1128 and 1130 and I've done some poking around, but haven't found any vacuum leaks that are obvious to me. I do know I have a few small exhaust leaks however and am planning on replacing manifold gaskets and all exhaust connections this weekend.

I have a problem though with a really rough idle and now a random "chirping" sound when the idle dips real low (like less than 500). I have THOROUGHLY cleaned my throttle body a couple times already and I didn't even really notice any difference at all. The car drives great except for when I slow down to a stop for a light or something and the idle starts bouncing like crazy, then tends to even out (around 600). Sometimes after it evens out it will do a VERY slow surge.. like every 5 seconds.

What I noticed today was that, if I had to stop pretty fast, or I came to a stop more quickly than just a "coast" to a stop, if the idle dipped real low, I would hear this "chirp" sound that sounded like it came from the driver's side (but doesn't everything when you're in the car ).

For shins and grins I popped the oil cap off and the car shot up to about 700 RPM steady and sounded really "healthy" if that makes sense. Didn't seem to surge at all. I heard the suction while it was removed. Same for the dipstick (heard the suction), but the dipstick had little effect on the idle.

What should I be chasing here? Should I admit defeat and let the dealership do a diagnostics on it so that I'm not throwing parts at it?

PS: The Secondary Air Injection System is a :trolltroll) lol

...I can't seem to get ahead of repairs on this car. Was planning on doing my driver's window regulator today and that chirping sound scared me enough to turn around and park it (that and the hellacious traffic).
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote