View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #37
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow View Post
So, from your description, I take it the orange one is yours. I like it, I think I will try it.
A few questions: Did you form the silicone tubing, or is there somewhere to purchase it at the right size?
I don't see where the honeycomb is installed in relation to the MAF. Could you describe that in a little more detail?
Thanks!
Hi @Iflylow - love the name!

I do not have one pictured….yet! We should be able to get some snaps of what I am running tomorrow. I DO HAVE SILICONE TUBING, it is from siliconeintakes.com. They were pretty reasonable but the stuff is still not cheap. I do not have the molded one, that would be ideal…no airflow turbulence (or not much anyway).

As one poster pointed out, from a thread on HP Tuners site, the Honeycomb filter is used to straighten airflow and allows the MAF to function better. My MAF is currently "just around the corner" from my Throttle Body. I have tried it several places and it seems to like it there. The Honeycomb filter ($10-12) is available through saxonpc.com but you need to know the Inner Diameter (I.D.) of the tubing size you are going to use FIRST.

So I have a 10" X 6" air filter using a 4" tubing for about 6 inches, turning using a 45 degree, then to a 4" to 3.25" reducer, into a spacer that is where I have placed the Honeycomb (about 4 inches from the MAF), then it is plumbed to a 45 degree that is slightly cut off and into the Throttle Body. I cut the tubing on the 3.25" tubing b/c any longer: it would be too far, any shorter and it would NOT clear the AOS-which is just BELOW the MAF. Not ideal b/c of the heat but still "snappy"!

To give you an idea. Look where your AOS is, draw a straight line UP and the inside turn of the tubing clears it by a couple of inches. I still want to move it closer to the TB. I have another adapter to try. Also, I will apply some heat shielding IF the MAF is staying there. Does anyone know IF A RADIANT BARRIER WILL CAUSE A CONFLICT WITH THE MAF signals? But I think I can get it closer….the closer the better!

If I can get a 3.5" MAF tubing section (fits our Pcars-not the MAF but the housing) from a BMW 540i to work, without re-programming, that would be ideal with a stock Throttle Body. Some have bored their TBs out, but I am just not sure IF that would impact your gas mileage. Certainly, more air, if the MAF can adapt…would be the direction I want to go in, so I don't shoot my gas mileage in the foot….even tho the foot is always shooting down the mileage! That is a fun issue, take it up with the brain.

When I first started using the 4" to 3.25" tubing the computer was idling the car pretty rough. Acceleration was O.K. but not as crisp as now. I took it out and railed around and it seems to be getting better mileage AND definitely a little more "snap" in the thrust department.

Also, I will have a BIG COLD AIR TUBE over the air filter sealed into the vent hole in the side of the car. Have turned the corner by finding a design that has VERY FEW EDGES for better airflow….because if you are flowing 192 cubic meters of air a second…you need it as slick as possible!

Thanks for fighting the good fight. Will have pics soon!