View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
"Don't get mad or take the law into your own hands….you take 'em to court!" Doug Lewellen on Judge Whopner

When you try to seek justice and do not find any….take them to court! While not a fan of the legal system, or lawyers, small claims court would make them pay ACTUAL damages AND legal fees up to $5,000, amount varies by state…so you should not have ANY problem getting an attorney to take the case b/c of the proof you have collected.

Good job on the investigative side, you may have just made your case - photos, testimony and putting the criminal there at the scene. You will need HIGHER repair estimates from REPUTABLE shops, no Indies - make sure they do not miss ANYTHING! Put it back to 100% of where it was that day, before this idiot!

Of course, with the legal system in this country (unless you are a criminal):

1). You have to pay the Attorney up front (or better SHOW THEM THE CASE and make sure they understand even a baboon could win). They may not charge a retainer, as a result.
2). It will take months to collect. You may WiN in court and LOSE at collecting. In which case, find the assets and you will win the case.
3). You will be nervous, do NOT let your age be an issue. Stand up and fight in court IF you have been wronged. Do NOT confront the guy, he has already given you his answer. The attorney can direct an investigator to find the license plate, even if the police will not. You MAY go down to the station, not on a busy day, and ask a cop face to face, show him the problems to your car, repairs estimates, and tell him about the situation. I have found that in person is a different response than you will get by phone.

Either way you will win, in the end. Just do not let age, the person's offishness or the situation keep you from prevailing. Keep your head in the game. You will come out with lost time but ultimately will "have your day in court" and most likely win.*

"A win in the end - beats your end in the wind" Me, I said that.

* I am not an attorney but can probably play one better than some of ones I have paid for. That is a JOKE, just in case you are an attorney. And, if looking to sue, don't call me I'll call you!