View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Leeper

The least expensive and easiest to check go in this order:

#1 - battery connections, check out the posts for visual corrosion or white powder-looking stuff on posts.. if present clean with wire brush then a little grease and re-tighten

#2 - check batter voltage, it should read 12.4 volts at least without load, anything under then your battery is likely toast

#3 - If car is a manual check the clutch switch. You'll have to get under steering wheel and just above the clutch pedal you'll see the black micro-switch. You can check this with a ohms meter to verify that it is functioning.. if not it is very cheap and easy to replace.

#4 - key switch. This is a VERY common failure point on 986's and 996's. It is a little bit of work to do, lots of write-ups on various sites on how to replace. It is most often only the electrical portion of the switch an they run @$15... don't go for the cheap Chinese one for $7 or so as you'll get what you pay for. This switch is identical to those in Audi's so save yourself a buck or two and get one there. I got mine from Amazon.com for $12 I think earlier this year. I now keep one in my car just in case!

Other possibilities: Starter, starter solenoid, immobilizer, bad ground wire...
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote