View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
stephe57

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b55er View Post
Hi. I have a 1998 986 Base.

I needed two keys (no alarm). I brought the car to the dealer, they said that they could not access the alarm module of the car. They told me there was a PCNA database with the access codes based on VIN. The passcode associated with my VIN isn't working. Without the passcode, they can not access the module to add/delete keys.

Dealer cut lighted-head keys and was unsuccessful in adding them.

Dealer wants to replace the "theft control module " $460 part: 99661826203

No issues with this 25k immaculate 986. Runs fine but only has 1 key. Dealer maintained.

Does this make sense?.. or is the dealer trying to make a key sale into $$$?
The Dealer is correct in telling you that the PPN database does contain the Vehicle Code Information. When they put your VIN into the database, it will give them the immobilizer code to access the coding/programming content of the Alarm Control Module. Without that code, you can not program keys. However, if they are informing you that they can not access the Alarm Control Module to input this code and sunsequently delete or add keys, then I would say there is an issue with the Alarm Control Module.
As Ghost Rider said, if you have a key and it works then leave it, if you want fresh keys then by the sounds of it you may have to start with the Alarm Control Module.

-Ty
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote