View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
944boy

Someone replaced my clutch pedal with a wet sponge

So I have 105,000 miles on my 05 2.7L 6-speed Boxster with the original clutch. Recently the clutch started slipping under "normal" circumstances. Before I really had to do something stupid to get the clutch to slip. Now a brisk WOT shift into 6th would slip unless I let off briefly. I was planning on ordering the clutch kit and replacing it over thanksgiving.

That was until yesterday...

I was on my way to head up to a date in San Francisco and all of a sudden the clutch goes spongy. It feels like it never fully disengages and has zero feel. Feels like I'm stepping on a wet sponge. It slips easier it seems and is hard to take off from a start, especially on a hill... remember the SF part?

So it didn't explode on my and today I bled the slave cylinder hoping that would be the solution so I could at least drive it.... nope!

Now I am trying to figure out the possibilities of what has gone south so that I can order parts in one shot. And I don't want to replace the clutch to find out the problem is still there and the master cylinder is dead. Now if I had more positive cash flow I would just replace everything for good measure. Sadly cash is not freely flowing right now so I need to keep it to parts that are actually worn out.

I did have an issue with my 944 where the release lever pivot backed out and it felt similar.

Has anyone else had this issue? I also thought about a light weight flywheel but that is a whole nother can of worms.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote