View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
impboy

Question High pitched sound before starting up

My '01 Box has been idling rough so I thought I'd take a look and see what's going on. When I turn the ignition key but do not start the car, I hear this high pitched sound like a tiny little alarm going off right near the throttle body. It'll go for about 20 to 40 seconds and then I hear a whirring and clicking sound like something is trying to open or engage. After that goes away rather quickly, it's back to the high pitched alarm sound. The sound never goes away until I start the car, and I can't be sure it's completely gone over the engine noise after I start it up.

I searched all over the boards for others who have had a similar problem but all they came up with the secondary air injection pump. I'm 100% certain the sound is coming from the throttle body area and not the secondary air pump. The pump is on the passenger side of the engine and this sound is coming directly from the middle near the throttle body.

No CEL codes yet and the car drives fine at speed, but the moment I come to a stop and I'm idling, the car will go from around 900 rpms to 650, then back to 900 and so on about every two seconds.

I tried pulling the oil cap off while the car was running and it started to goes a bit in rpms but the amount of suction seemed normal when I put my hand over the mouth of the oil tube.

Any help would be much appreciated!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote