View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
southernstar

Randall, you ae not 'leading' them into danger unless it is someone you know who is following you to a specific location. Then and only then are you 'leading' someone; in that situation it is important to make sure that you are driving at a speed and in a way that will allow them to follow you easily and safely, taking into account the vehicle they are driving, their level of experience and their relative lack of knowledge of the roads you are travelling.

Why should we lower our driving speeds so as to reach the level of the lowest common demonimator? Very few cars are capable of cornering and braking as well as our cars - that is one of the reasons most of us bought them. I do not tail gate cars that are holding me up; by the same token I don't worry about pulling away from cars that cannot safely keep pace with me.

If I saw a car behind me fly off the road I would no doubt stop and, if I could do so in safety (and that would not include backing-up on an off-ramp), I would return and offer assistance. If I could not do so in safety, I would likely call 911. I would not, however, feel any responsibilty for nor guilt about their incompetence.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote