View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #108
mr.drama

Think twice before you buy a 986 Boxster

I just sold my '97 with a blown engine(brought less than 2K)after 13 + yrs. of ownership.I have never had such a love hate relationship with an automobile.A great ride BUT the running costs were nothing less than obscene,(try a dollar a mile the last few years)particularly as the mileage climbed above 90K.The same things keep failing-top mechanism,flooded immobilizers,Actuator solenoids,water pumps,air/oil seperator.etc.CEL light on?Be prepared to ''assume the position".The engine quit abruptly at 122K.(that's how they all go-NO WARNING.-timing chain in this case)My favorite part is the congratulations you get from the community that your engine lasted that long!!This is BS:my former "84 Carrera was still running strong at 160K when I sold it (for more than paid for it) six years earlier.This is the problem-for years I was just waiting for this inevitable end-that's the killjoy.I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WATER COOLED PORSCHE,certainly not an M96 based car.I know it's tempting,especially when you drive one,but there are reasons these cars are cheap.
mr.drama is offline   Reply With Quote