Thread: plasma coils
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
My understanding is that the packs have many more winds to generate a higher intensity spark. I would think that this might reduce longevity of the plug anyway. The high intensity spark is more resistant to being blown out under high boost and flow conditions. Not sure if it promotes better combustion/gas propagation in NA engines.

Not sure why the word plasma is used.....seems to imply that combustion gases will reach the plasma state under this spark

I enquired about BBIs product but received no reply...maybe because I said I was Canadian
The only advantage I can think of is that more secondary windings = higher voltage. This would enable you to run increased plug gaps as the higher voltage coil will jumg across a larger gap, creating a larger spark which will more robustly ignite the F/A mixture. I have my doubts that it would make any difference in a stock Boxster. there is a point of diminishing returns. Porsche has likely optimized the ignition system to provide all the spark the engine needs. If you were running with a blower or very high compression pistons then there may be some benefit.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote