View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Could be "winter-blend" fuel but most likely is the intake needs cleaning…1 ½ years? I am cleaning it every other month! One of us is over the top. Having said that, I never had an acceleration problem and I HAVE to go DOWN DIRT ROADS. If you go too slow on dirt…the car kind of looks like "Pig Pen" or a helicopter landing - with all the dust kicking up!

When you changed to air filter last did you clean, wipe, touch, or "blow air" on the MAF? Stupid thing is darn sensitive! Can be a quick couple hundred dollar mistake to mess with it if you ARE NOT CAREFUL!

When you do get around to cleaning the throttle body, a good compliment to that "repair" is to run race gas (105+ octane) if you can find it! NOT AV GAS!!! Race gas! We have a station nearby that carries it. There are a number of MX and Race tracks in the North Texas area so they carry it….for $7 a gallon.

Don't fill the tank with it but DO up the octane rating of your Premo gas - especially if you are in some areas of the world where Premium gas is only 90 octane or less! I also add fuel injector cleaner in the tank prior to running the Race Gas. NOT in the same tank!

CAUTION: You will become ADDICTED to RACE GAS if/when you run it! The gas will launch your car like a rocket! So be warned….
Homeboy,

Rant warning...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but your race gas comments make no sense at all. The difference between race gas and pump gas is octane rating, or more specifically the additive that reduces the fuels tendency to detonate (read uncontrollable ignition) under high pressure/temp situations. In an otherwise normal running normally aspirated engine the 2 factors that affect internal cylinder pressure(ICP) and temp most are the ignition timing and compression ratio. A stock Boxster is tuned from the factory to run on 93 octane pump gas. If your car has stock pistons and is operating within Porsche's ignition timing specs, race gas is a waste of time and money. In fact, high octane race gas actually has slightly less energy (BTUs) by volume than pump gas because of the addition octane increasing additives that displace the base stock.

Further more, "Race gas" does not burn cleaner than pump gas, it does nothing for your injection system or MAF (which never sees fuel anyway). Period. Any "Rocket" like launches that you feel on race gas are psychosomatic, unless of course you've remapped your car's timing program and/or have installed higher compression pistons, and even then, if you changed from pump gas to "race" gas, it would take several driving cycles for the ECU to realize that it could advance the timing to generate more power (this has to do peak ICP, crank angle and how they interact, but that's for another post).

Also, just an FYI. Anyone who runs a stock car at altitudes above say 5000ft on 93 oct pump gas is most likely wasting their money. Your manifold pressure at those altitudes is low enough to likely permit 89 and maybe even 87 oct without the ECU needing to retard the timing to prevent knocking/pinging. This means ZERO loss in performance by running lower octane...

I mean no disrespect, but I see so many people perpetuating the myth that race gas is some kind of highly potent "nitro" like substance... It's not, it is simply less volatile than pump gas thus enabling engines to be tuned to specs that would cause them to self destruct from detonation on pump gas. That is all. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, pulling your leg, trying to sell you something or too uneducated on the subject to know what they don't know.

Rant off...

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote