View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Bala

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Hey Bala,
How did you locate the exhaust leak? Do you think the header(s) could be removed with the car on ramps? Where did you order the bolts from?
I bought the stethoscope from Advanced and it didn't help. Couldn't hear a thing and it broke too easy. I went the hose to the ear way. Took a long 3/8 (or 1/2") clear flex tube, stuck one end in my ear and the other end as a probe. With the engine running started from the manifold side and probed every joint and bolt hole. Pay dirt right away.

As for the ramps, I jacked up the rear, put them on stands, removed the wheels (for other rotor swap work) and then put 2 more stands at the rear by the suspension and also the rear wheels as a added safety. For some reason I wasn't comfortable leaving the car on the sloped driveway with the front wheels held by 2 bricks! With that I was able to slide underneath and get a good view and hold of all the bolts. Where the cat end is, it is good to have the wheel out to access the 3 bolts.

I ordered the gasket and the bolts from local stealership. Looked at Pelican but some items like bolts are not in stock so it would take almost a week. Price came pretty close but these are genuine parts.

All the 6 header bolts were rusted at the head. Not taking chances. I have limited luck when it comes to bolts and screws on the Boxster.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote